Sunday 17 July 2011

The Spring of the Tiger

The Spring of the Tiger - by Victoria Holt

The Ashington Pearls... Perfect beyond prince, for generations they have been the heritage of the Ashington family brides. When Sarah goes to Ceylon to claim her plantation inheritance, she cannot avoid hearing about the legends surrounding the pearls - legends of tragedy and death. And when she wears them, the stories come to life.

A series of strange and terrifying events make her mistrust even those closest to her; Clinton, her handsome but remote husband; Clytie, her lovely half-sister; Celia, her oldest friend. Someone is threatening her sanity, even her life...


This books is amazing!! There are no inconsistencies. I was caught up at the very beginning. Unfortunately, those that like an instant action book, they will be disappointed. Victoria Holt writes her novels a little more descriptive. She writes a background story.

The only thing that I did not like is that it took her longer than usual to explain the back. Either someone messed up or something. The last 1/4 of the book was the back cover description(seen above). They should have had a little bit of the beginning, and the middle in there. I like to look at the back and determine things from it, things underlying. Well, it was frustrating because I could not really apply the back page to the book until the end. Not very well done on the editors part if you ask me.

It is also in my belief that the title of the novel should be somehow included in the actual back cover, that way it makes it more interesting, even if the exact words aren't in it. This was held out and was a disappointment to me.

Other than those above things, this book was very intriguing. It kept me on my toes and made me appreciate the hard work it goes into writing a mystery novel.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think that I've read anything by Victoria Holt, although her name sounds familiar to me. I need to check her out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is a really good author. I really enjoy her. My favourite would be the India Fan, and have read it probably 15 times. No joke. She is really good.

    ReplyDelete