Wednesday 27 July 2011

Impersonal

Today I had to call my internet provider because our wireless internet was not working and I tried everything to fix it. Anyways, I sat on the phone for 50 minutes listening to elevator music and recorded voices and was reminded of how I live in a secular world. Not that having recorded voices is secular, but that it is so impersonal and there is no connection. I just had this feeling that God wants more from us than a recorded saying.

Our prayers are normally the exact same thing, and I have to admit that I am often repeating the same prayer. For example, when I pray for a meal I normally say, "Dear Jesus, thank you for this beautiful day and bless this food to the nourishment of our bodies... Amen." I may add some things like thanks for keeping family safe during travels or whatever, but still, it is like I am a robot, saying what I always say, in a recorded sequence.

When will we learn that God is there for us to talk to, to listen to, to love and care for. God knows us more intimately than we know ourselves. He is in our lives whether we want him there or not, because he is our father. If you didn't want your parents in your lives, not wanting to remember them and memories with them, well you are out of luck. They raised you, hopefully, and no matter how hard you want to forget, they will always be there. What really bothers me is that we think we can do that to God. Forget him and what he has done for us. Maybe even imagine that he doesn't exist.

We are in his image, not some robots. We need to stop acting like it. We have a choice to follow him. God did not make us to not react or to not be able to choose or love. He made us like him, creative, unique, entrepreneurs. It is time to stop staring at the television screen and start making something useful of our lives.

Do you pray to God like he is really there? I often don't. I catch myself in the middle of a prayer sounding so monotone and rushing it just so I can get it over with. Don't do that! Pray like you mean it. Pray like it matters. Do you praise God? Do you thank Him for everything you have?

Like I said, we aren't robots, we have feelings, we have emotions. Time to start feeling them. React to life. Live life. God gave it to us for a reason, so it is time to stop sitting around. No more couch potato. Why are so many people more interested in going to the next hit movie than going to church? Why does no one pray anymore like they mean it, and not just asking God for something? Why are our lives considered landfills? We waste so much, destroying the earth and our bodies. Time to take a stand and realize that God wants us to live to our full potential.


"Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win." I Corinthians 9:24

No comments:

Post a Comment